May Commencement 2013 frequently asked questions:
(This list will be continuously updated.)
1. Will there be a professional photographer to take my photo as I walk across the stage to receive my degree?
Grad Images will be the official photography company at May Commencement 2013 to take photos of graduates as they cross the stage. Students will be provided a card (when students pick up their cap and gown) to complete which requests current email, address and telephone number. After Commencement, a proof will be mailed and/or emailed along with purchasing information.
2. How long is the ceremony?
Approximately 2 ½ hours
3. Who is the speaker and when it be announced?
The speaker will be announced as soon as he/she is confirmed. Please check the Commencement web site for the announcement.
4. What are the qualifications for walking at Commencement?
Please see Graduation Requirements under “Resources” on the DSU Commencement web site.
5. Can I still walk at Commencement if I still have to take one or two fall or summer classes?
7. Why I am not allowed to wear heels?
Heels may cause damage to the turf of Alumni Stadium.
8. When do I have to arrive at Commencement?
8:30 a.m. See line up details (TBA) under Resources/Commencement Day Information on the Commencement web site.
9. When can my family/friends come to Commencement to get a seat?
Commencement will start promptly at 10 a.m. The stadium will be open for guests as early as 8:00 a.m. on Sunday, May 19, 2013.
10. What activities are there for graduating seniors?
Please check the DSU Commencement web site under Resources-- “Commencement Events”
11. Where can I get my cap and gown from?
Cap and gown (regalia) distribution will be held in the Bookstore in the MLKSC
12. If I am in a Fraternity or Sorority where can I get my sash from?
Stop by the Bookstore in the MLKSC.
13. Is Commencement going to be filmed?
Yes. Details will be posted to the Commencement web site.
14. How many people can I invite to the Commencement ceremony in the stadium?
Tickets are not required for the stadium. An overflow room for the viewing of Commencement will be set up in the 2nd floor parlors of the Martin Luther King, Jr. Student Center. Printed programs will also be available in the parlors.
15. Where do I get my invitations for Commencement from?
Please attend the Grad Fair in the Bookstore or go to www.herffjones.com . Click on "Graduation" then click "College". The DSU Copy Center also sells announcements at a low cost.
16. Where do I get my honor cords from?
Cords will be distributed to honor students during the mandatory Commencement rehearsal on Friday, May 17th at 9 a.m. in Alumni Stadium.
17. Are there tickets for Commencement?
Tickets are not required for Alumni Stadium.
18. What are the Commencement Fees for?
Cap/gown, administrative fees and activities
19. What are the parking options for students, family and friends?
There will be plenty of parking on campus available on Sunday, May 19th. Prospective graduates as well as their family and friends can park in any parking lot with the exception of reserved spaces and fire lanes. However, a section of Parking Lot 1 (near the main gate) will be designated for VIP and handicapped Commencement parking. Please do not park at area businesses during Commencement. Your vehicle will be subject to ticketing and/or towing. Fines and fees will apply.
Handicapped spaces will continue to be reserved for only handicapped designated cars. Handicapped parking and the wheelchair drop-off points for Commencement parking will be located in Parking Lot 1 and campus-wide. Special needs and handicapped seating will also be designated in Alumni Stadium. Parking on the grass anywhere on campus is prohibited. See Campus Map .