Welcome to Delaware State University!
The information below will help ensure you and your family's smooth transition into becoming a part of the Hornet family! If you have any further questions or concerns pertaining to New Student Orientation, contact the Office of Admissions at 302.857.6351.
2017 NEW STUDENT ORIENTATION DATES AND DEADLINES
If you plan to attend Delaware State University, you must attend New Student Orientation in order to register for classes. All New Student Orientation fees are non-refundable.
Spring 2017 Session
Fall 2017 Sessions
Important Numbers to Know
What is New Student Orientation (NSO)?
New Student Orientation (NSO) is designed for all new students, including transfers. It introduces you to the campus, where you will learn about DSU’s academic programs, meet faculty members, register for classes with your advisor, learn about all of our support services and make new friends with other incoming students. All new students must attend New Student Orientation.
What should I do prior to attending New Student Orientation?
Prior to attending New Student Orientation, it is mandatory for every new student to complete the ALEKS math placement assessment. The placement assessment will be open October 31-December 12, allowing for you to complete at least one retake. Failure to take the ALEKS math assessment prior to the dates listed may alter your New Student Orientation schedule of activities. You will also need to create a Personal Identification Number (PIN) before you can complete the test. Visit my.desu.edu and select "Create/Reset Pin". For more details on accessing information about ALEKS visit http://www.desu.edu/academics/aleks-math-placement and to take the ALEKS math assessment visit https://bnrhvprod-ssb.desu.edu/PROD/twbkwbis.P_WWWLogin
How do I book my New Student Orientation date?
First, you will receive a New Student Orientation booklet that will include a registration guide on how to register to attend New Student Orientation. You can visit desu.edu/orientation to complete the online registration form to attend New Student Orientation and pay your fee no later than the posted registration deadline.
Secondly, you can click on the red button on this page that says register for New Student Orientation. It will direct you to the registration form.
Please note in your acceptance package you will receive an Admissions Acceptance Agreement. This form informs the Office of Admissions that you plan to attend the University. Please return the form to the Office of Admissions along with registering for New Student Orientation online. The form can be mailed, faxed or hand delivered to the Office of Admissions.
How much is New Student Orientation?
The non-refundable New Student Orientation fee is $150.00 for freshman and $100.00 for transfer students.
How do I make my New Student Orientation Payment?
You can mail in a personal check or money order (no cash) to:
Delaware State University
Office of Admissions
1200 N. DuPont Highway
Dover, DE 19901
If you wish to pay with a personal check, major credit card or debit card, you may also submit payment online via QuikPay via the “Pay Your Fees” link on the front page of the DSU website.
How to make a payment via QuikPay:
In the "Login as Guest" box
- Enter: Student ID
- Payment type : “Tuition & Other University Fees” (Note: There is not an option for New Student Orientation)
- Click: Login
- Click: "Yes, continue to the NelNet Quickpay” website
- Make a payment
- Click: "Pay" for Tuition & Other University Fees” (Note: There is not an option for New Student Orientation)
- Select: Term Spring 2017 (Classes begin in January)
- Select: Term Fall 2017 (Classes begin in August)
- Enter: $150 for freshman or $100 for transfer student
What does my orientation fee cover?
The fee covers the processing of your registration, materials given during the orientation, and meals.
How do I make my housing deposit?
- Go to: my.desu.edu
- Select: “QuikPAY” icon
- In the “Login as Guest Box”
- Enter: Student ID
- Click: Login
- Click: “Yes, continue to the NelNet Quickpay” website
- Select: Make a payment
- Click: “Pay” Traditional Housing Deposit
- Select: Term from the drop down box
- Enter: $200.00 as the Payment Amount
- Select: Payment Method from the drop down box
- Click: Continue
- Provide Information: Complete your credit card, bank information or both (must use the option you choose above)
- Click: Confirm to submit your payment
- You will receive an email confirmation for your payment
Can I bring my parents and guest to New Student Orientation?
Yes. You are allowed to bring guests (2 max) to New Student Orientation. However, there is a $35.00 fee for each guest, including children under 12. This fee covers materials given to each guest and meals. Overnight campus accommodations are reserved for future DSU students attending orientation. Parents and guests are asked to reserve a room at a nearby hotel. Please visit our “Local Accomodations” section for a listing of hotels in the area.
What are some key things to remember for my orientation session?
- Bring documents: Sealed final high school transcript, complete online housing application and submit health forms (all documents can be turned in prior to orientation).
- Prior to your orientation complete the ALEKS math assessment (details can be found at http://www.desu.edu/academics/aleks-math-placement). You will speak with an advisor during New Student Orientation who will discuss your score.
- Spring New Student Orientation is a 1 day event for both incoming freshman and transfer students.
Where is New Student Orientation held on campus? What are some key things to remember for my orientation session?
New Student Orientation activities are held in the Martin Luther King, Jr. (MLK) Student Center. Students will spend most of their day in the MLK with the exception of the campus tour and business dealings with Financial Aid, Student Accounts and ID Center offices in the Administration building. Students driving to orientation should park in Parking Lot 1 across from the MLK Student Center. There is no charge for parking.
A detailed schedule of events will be provided upon your arrival to New Student Orientation.
Please Note: Please check your email with specific check-in instructions and location.
Documents needed for New Student Orientation:
- Final High School Transcript Release form (if applicable)
- Student Health form
- Housing Application
- FASFA (process prior to attending New Student Orientation). Visit the FAFSA website if you have not already processed your FAFSA.
What happens after New Student Orientation (Next Steps)?
After New Student Orientation it is your responsibility to make sure first that all of your documents have been turned in a timely fashion. While you are at New Student Orientation you will have an opportunity to register for your classes; this will generate your semester bill. Once your bill has been generated, it is the responsibility of the student to make sure that the bill can be paid in full by scholarships, grants, financial aid, personal monies or a payment plan through Student Accounts. One or all of the options can be used to satisfy your bill.