As a land-grant university, Delaware State University has a three-part mission: to teach, to research—and to serve. DSU’s commitment to service extends to the local, national, and global communities.
The university offers a variety of student organizations and university programs  that let you get involved in a way that interests you. Participate on campus, off campus, or across the world.
- ever helped a friend in crisis?
- ever given the gift of laughter to someone in a nursing home?
- ever cleaned up a park?
- ever run in a 5K charity race?
- ever written your senator about an important issue?
If so, you know how good it feels to give something of yourself to the world.
You can serve the campus community by:
- being a DSU Cadet in the campus police force
- being a resident assistant in a dormitory
- counseling other students
- helping to stage campus events on health awareness and other topics
Opportunities abound in the Dover area, through social service agencies, churches, and other organizations. Some of these opportunities include:
- The DSU International Students Association recently served food to needy people at a Salvation Army facility in Dover.
- More than 200 DSU students volunteered as judges and assistants at a Special Olympics held on campus.
- The Delaware State University Choir performs at community events.
- Other students assist in a variety of summer youth programs, including mentoring local children who need a big brother or sister.
Through DSU’s Office of International Affairs, your commitment to serving other people can take you as far around the world as you wish to travel. Depending on your field of study, you can participate in research and cultural exchanges that stretch across six continents.
Imagine participating in Study Abroad Programs to improve public health, raise better food crops, or recover from the wounds of war. Imagine acquiring new skills, and then using those skills to give back to other communities near and far.
Imagine living out the high ideals of Delaware State University’s motto: “Enter to learn. Go forth to serve.”
Related Links and Opportunities:
Coastal Clean Up