The Honors Program at Delaware State University is designed to create and nurture a community of academically bright and talented students who value and are committed to intellectual pursuit and to provide those students opportunities to (a) engage in classroom processes that de-emphasize formal, impersonal lecturing methods and passive note taking, but rather utilize methods of colloquia and symposia that encourage active intellectual participation, discussion and involvement in the search for knowledge; (b) develop analytical/critical thinking and logical reasoning skills; (c) become proficient in problem solving and decision making; (d) develop clear, precise coherent and persuasive oral and written communications skills.
The mission of the Honors Program at Delaware State University is to provide students with exceptional intellectual ability, motivation and commitment, with superior learning opportunities that challenge them to reach new levels of academic excellence in scholarship and creativity.
As graduates of the DSU Honors Program, our students will become the first choice of employers and graduate and professional schools because of their recognized achievements and potential for success.
- To provide talented and motivated students opportunities for intellectual growth and achievement in small, challenging classes that encourage active intellectual participation, discussion and collaboration in the search for knowledge;
- To enhance student skills for analytical/critical thinking, logical examination and appraisal of ideas;
- To enhance student skills for problem solving and decision making;
- To enhance student skills for clear, precise, coherent and persuasive oral and written communication;
- To engage talented students in faculty-mentored research projects resulting in contributions of scholarly work to each student’s chosen field of study; and
- To prepare honors students through experience with department-based honors courses, interdisciplinary colloquia and seminars, and independent study and research in preparation for graduate and professional schools.