May Commencement 2015 frequently asked questions:
(This list will be continuously updated.)
1. Will there be a professional photographer to take my photo as I walk across the stage to receive my degree?
Grad Images will be the official photography company at May Commencement 2015 to take photos of graduates as they cross the stage. Students will be provided a card (when students pick up their cap and gown) to complete which requests current email, address and telephone number. After Commencement, a proof will be mailed and/or emailed along with purchasing information.
2. How long is the ceremony?
Approximately 2 ½ hours
3. Who is the speaker and when it be announced?
The May 2015 Commencement speaker will be announced soon.
4. What are the qualifications for walking at Commencement?
Please see Graduation Requirements under “Resources” on the DSU Commencement web site.
5. Can I still walk at Commencement if I still have to take one or two fall, spring or summer classes?
6. Can I decorate my cap (mortarboard)?
No. Commencement at DSU is a dignified occasion.
7. Why I am not allowed to wear heels?
Heels may cause damage to turf of Alumni Stadium.
8. When do I have to arrive at Commencement?
See line up details under Resources/Commencement Day Information on the Commencement web site.
9. When can my family/friends come to Commencement to get a seat?
Commencement will start promptly at 10 a.m. Alumni Stadium will be open for guests as early as 8:30 a.m. on Sunday May 17, 2015.
10. What activities are there for graduating seniors?
Please check the DSU Commencement web site under Resources-- “Commencement Events”
11. Where can I get my cap and gown from?
Cap and gown (regalia) distribution is held in the Bookstore in the MLKSC.
12. If I am in a Fraternity or Sorority, where can I get my Greek sash from?
Stop by the Bookstore in the MLKSC.
13. Is Commencement going to be filmed?
Yes, however, it will not be for sale. Please feel free to ask your family/friends to capture the ceremony. Details on WATCHING IT LIVE will be posted to the Commencement website.
14. How many people can I invite to the Commencement ceremony in the gymnasium?
Tickets are not required for the stadium. An overflow room for the viewing of Commencement will be set up in the 2nd floor parlors of the Martin Luther King, Jr. Student Center. Printed programs will also be available in the parlors.
15. Where do I get my invitations for Commencement from?
Please attend the Grad Fair in the Bookstore or go to www.herffjones.com . Click on "Graduation" then click "College". The DSU Copy Center also sells announcements at a low cost.
16. Where do I get my honor cords from?
Cords will be distributed to honor students during the mandatory Commencement rehearsal on Friday May 15, 2015 at 9 a.m. in Alumni Stadium.
17. Are there tickets for Commencement?
Tickets are NOT required for Alumni Stadium.
18. What are the Commencement Fees for?
Cap/gown, administrative fees and activities
19. What are the parking options for students, family and friends?
There will be plenty of parking on campus available on Sunday May 17, 2015. Prospective graduates as well as their family and friends, can park in any parking lot with the exception of reserved spaces and fire lanes. However, a section of Parking Lot 1 (near the main gate) will be designated for handicapped Commencement parking. Please do not park at area businesses during Commencement. Your vehicle will be subject to ticketing and/or towing. Fines and fees will apply.
Handicapped spaces will continue to be reserved for only handicapped designated cars. Handicapped parking and the wheelchair drop-off points for Commencement parking will be located in Parking Lot 1 and campus-wide. Special needs and handicapped seating will also be designated in Memorial Hall Gymnasium. Parking on the grass anywhere on campus is prohibited. See Campus Map .
20. How are Latin honors determined?
Latin honors are based on the previous semester's cumulative GPA.
21. Can I walk in May of 2015 even though I finished in December 2014?
Yes, however, your name will not appear in the May Commencement printed program.