The Purchasing Department at Delaware State University is responsible for acquisition of equipment, materials, supplies and services for the University. In addition, purchasing authority is to facilitate the procurement process specific to area's unique needs.
Purchasing leverages the institution's buying power to develop strategic relationships with suppliers and implements cost-effective contracts. Purchasing ensures that procurement decisions will be made in the best interest of the university and in compliance with applicable rules and regulations.
Additional responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Procuring high-quality goods and services at the best value.
- Delivering user friendly procurement methods, training programs, customer service and support to the financial community.
- Participating in state-wide collaborative purchasing initiatives to support cost-savings goals.
- Communicating with suppliers in matters of price, quality and delivery at both the quotation stage and ordering stage of procurement
- Identifying alternative sources of supply through regular commodity reviews
- Negotiating with suppliers
- Communicating with major departmental users to stay current with planned needs
- Helping departments develop specifications for the required product services
- Providing acceptable terms and conditions for procurement
- Defining, maintaining and providing access to processes and records to support established objectives.